Belle Rose Dresden Quilt

IMG_2821

This post is more a photo finish than a sewing finish but, I do feel that every quilt deserves it’s own blog post! A long time ago I had a small amount of Michael Miller Belle Rose from the French Journal Collection – about a fat quarter, I think. I loved that fabric so much I wanted to use every last inch so I made a Dresden Cushion (blogged here and here).

Son # 1 really liked it so I bought some yardage of the fabric and started making a quilt with the intention of gifting it to him and his fiancee the Christmas before last.

IMG_2822

I basically made the quilt and dresdens separately and I then hand sewed the dresdens onto the quilt. It is a kingsize quilt and, with hindsight, that was a ridiculous way of going about it! I abandoned it for nearly a year and eventually got it finished just in time for last Christmas.

IMG_2821

I added some musical fabric as detail (machine sewn) but as this quilt is so very massive and as the weather was so very dark and gloomy and wet I was never able to take any photos and I never got around around to blogging about it.

IMG_2820

And every time Son # 1 and his finacee visited us or we visited them either it was raining or the quilt was forgotten until last week when, to my surprise, the quilt came home for a few days and they even took it into the garden and took these photos for me. I should probably have ironed it…

IMG_2828

…but I’m very happy it has made it onto my blog at last, wrinkles and all :)

Meanwhile, Fiona has adopted a bear…

IMG_1797

…or perhaps the bear has adopted Fiona…

Happy Sewing!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare

I’m linking this post with Quilting is More Fun than Housework for TGIFF

Four in Art, May. Colour + Music

Happy Beltane, May Day or what you will :)

‘Today is the second reveal day for Four in Art  – an Art Quilt Group, which I am very happy to have joined this year and which aims to:Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 22.12.25“…to break out of the usual gridded experience and try a new concept, free of structure or preconception, moving the boundaries of our own skills forward in both concept and technique”

Our theme for this year is Colour and the sub-theme for this quarter is Music. My oldest son, Adrian, is a professional singer and also the director of a record company (Convivium Records) so I do a lot music themed sewing and, for this challenge, I wanted to make something that was identifiably ‘about’ music but  completely unlike anything I’d made before.

[some previous music themed sewing]

I decided on a single line of music with seven notes, which eventually led me to making a sort of illustration of Do Re Mi from The Sound of Music.

IMG_0223

My Mum was a big Rogers and Hammerstein fan and we grew up listing to Musicals on LPs played on an old record player that we were never allowed to touch! I could sing all the songs before before I went to school and I wanted to try to capture the spirit of running about listening to music and singing just for fun.

[Do, Re, Me, Fa]

[So, La, Te]

The biggest challenge was all the detail and embellishment. Although I mainly used applique and simple hand stitching, I’ve not attempted this level of detail before and I had mixed results. In February, I resolved I would start this quarter’s quilt sooner. I did that and, despite leaving a long break in the middle I actually finished it a week ago but I still ended up taking the photos yesterday and writing this post this morning!

For August, I think I will make something smaller and take the pictures before rolling it up for weeks!

[Do Re Mi from The Sound of Music accessed here]

Please visit my fellow members of Four-in-Art to see the quilts they have made for this challenge:
Happy Sewing!
Janine @ Rainbow Hare
I am linking this post with TGIFF at Quilt Matters