With some assistance, perhaps a little more than was strictly helpful, I have a sewing finish. Unfortunately, I can’t show it yet but you can see some sneak peeks above. Without giving much away, I can say that, when I reached the binding stage, I thought it was a bit too flimsy. Rather than adding another layer of wadding, I decided to cut a piece from a lap quilt I made a couple of years ago and which has never had much use.
I had enough of the lap quilt left to make a cushion so, whilst I was in upcycling mode, I found an old silk skirt (which, sadly, was ruined by being splashed with bleach a long, long time ago). I layered one 16″ square of the quilt, two 16″ squares of the silk and a final 16″ square of the quilt and sewed around leaving an opening for turning. Then I turned it and stuffed it with some old tea shirts. I was very surprised at how well that worked. It is quite heavy, like an old feather cushion, and has a more even, flat finish than I would have expected. I was actually thinking I’d have to take out the Tea Shirts and use toy stuffing! The photo on the right was taken in bright sunlight and in ‘normal’ light it looks more like the photo on the left. It isn’t very interesting but it’s exactly what I need as a base for my crochet square-in-progress.
I hope, by Sunday, I’ll have a crochet finish this week too :)
Janine @Rainbow Hare