Wool on Sundays – 106 (Blue cushion)

IMG_0192

Happy St Georges Day (it’s late Saturday night here) and welcome to Wool on Sundays :)

rainbowhare 

I have finished the cushion from last week! I’m very happy with how it has turned out and I did not miss the days of weaving in of ends that I usually have at the end of crochet projects. I think I might try one-colour crochet again…;)

Have you been working on any yarn projects this week?

If you have, I’d love you to link up. The rules are: 1). Posts must include some content – makes or musings or photos – related to knitting, crochet, felting, spinning or yarn. 2). Projects sewn from felt or wool fabric or stitchery using wool are also welcome but please don’t link posts that are exclusively about sewing, quilting and fabrics. 3). Posts don’t have to be from the past week but please put a link to WOOL ON SUNDAYS or grab the button from my sidebar and include it in or at the bottom of any posts you link up. 4). MOST IMPORTANT Visit anyone else who links.
 
Janine @ Rainbow Hare
[Please click on the button to view and add your links]

Waste not, want not…

With some assistance, perhaps a little more than was strictly helpful, I have a sewing finish. Unfortunately, I can’t show it yet but you can see some sneak peeks above. Without giving much away, I can say that, when I reached the binding stage, I thought it was a bit too flimsy. Rather than adding another layer of wadding, I decided to cut a piece from a lap quilt I made a couple of years ago and which has never had much use.

I had enough of the lap quilt left to make a cushion so, whilst I was in upcycling mode, I found an old silk skirt (which, sadly, was ruined by being splashed with bleach a long, long time ago). I layered one 16″ square of the quilt, two 16″ squares of the silk and a final 16″ square of the quilt and sewed around leaving an opening for turning. Then I turned it and stuffed it with some old tea shirts. I was very surprised at how well that worked. It is quite heavy, like an old feather cushion, and has a more even, flat finish than I would have expected. I was actually thinking I’d have to take out the Tea Shirts and use toy stuffing! The photo on the right was taken in bright sunlight and in ‘normal’ light it looks more like the photo on the left. It isn’t very interesting but it’s exactly what I need as a base for my crochet square-in-progress.

IMG_0158

I hope, by Sunday, I’ll have a crochet finish this week too :)

Janine @Rainbow Hare