I’ll begin with TGIFF because I’ve finished so many things this week – I think it must be my record!
1. The red and white cushion.
2. These little birds, using a tutorial from Spool Sewing
3. Two pot holders (click here tutorial).
4. A large pot holder using up some Laura Ashley Toile fabric which I made a window seat from about fifteen years ago!
5. A pair of oven gloves….
And now merging into TTT – I’ve decided, this week that life is just too short to be making oven gloves!
My daughter said she needed a pair and I thought I’d whip them up in no time. But no. I used insulbrite. It is recommended that this is used with at least one layer of cotton batting and I read a comment from a lady who said she always uses two layers. So I thought to myself ‘No daughter of mine is going to get burnt taking pots out of the oven!’ This was a little disingenuous because we normally just grab a tea towel but, nevertheless I cut out my layers of 2 x fabric, 1 x insulbrite and 2 x cotton batting plus 2 more layers of fabric with 1 layer of insulbrite for the pieces that go on top of your hands. Now, with hindsight, I think that lady either had shares in cotton batting or uses something considerably thinner than Hobbs heirloom.
My sandwich was about an inch thick. I could barely get it under the foot of my sewing machine, although when I switched to my walking foot for the binding (I usually resist using it, except for full quilts because it’s so fiddly to screw on) I was impressed with how well it managed.
And the binding round the curve took forever, with all sorts of easing and little gathers. Now I know why the ‘bias’ part of bias binding is important!
Luckily, I think the buttons saved the day but I’m resolved never again to spend an entire morning making something I could buy for about £5 unless I’m enjoying it.
Another quick thought is about this WIP.
It’s difficult to see in the picture because the blocks are laid on a bed and they are blending into the duvet cover but I’m making some small blocks to go in the gaps and it will look, roughly like this…
Now, although I did some fmq on the red and white cushion, I’m not up for attempting that on this (it’s going to be 70-80 inches square) so I’m thinking parallel straight lines but I’m wondering about using a medium blue/grey thread – just to make it a bit different. If anyone has lasted to the end of all this, I’d be glad to know you think :)