Wool on Sundays – 69 (What the frog!)

Welcome to another Wool on Sundays!

Regular visitors to Rainbow Hare will know that my yarn projects tend to grow in fits and starts with as much frogging as making…This week, I was alarmed to find that seems to be spilling over into my daily life.

I wanted to send two Sewing Machine Covers to America, which you’d think should be simple enough, so I wrapped them in bubble wrap, put them in a box, wrapped the whole lot in plastic and took them the the Post Office only to be told that, although it weighed well under 1kg, which was acceptable, it was 3cm too big for the Royal Mail and Parcel Force would cost £50 or £60! When I asked which side had to be smaller, I learned it could be any side – or any combination, such as 1cm off the length and 2cm off the height…so long as each side added together came to 90cm or less!
The lady did, however, say she had some boxes I could use and, after measuring all their old boxes (the Post office is also a very small general shop) we found one I could use if I cut about 4cm off the top.

So I had to take it all home, frog the packaging, buy more Sellotape, repackage and take it back the next day.

My new crochet, by contrast, has had no frogging. I’m just going round and round, combining various odds and ends of stitches and techniques – a sort of doodling with yarn – and because I have no plan for how it turns out, it can’t go wrong so there’s no need to frog. I’d had enough of frogging for one week :o

If you have any yarn posts, with or without frogging, I’d love you to link up with WOOL ON SUNDAYS. The rules as usual are: 1). Posts must include some content – makes or musings or photos – related to knitting, crochet, felting, spinning or yarn. 2). Projects sewn from felt or wool fabric or stitchery using wool are also welcome but please don’t link posts that are exclusively about sewing, quilting and fabrics. 3). Posts don’t have to be from the past week but please put a link to WOOL ON SUNDAYS or grab the button from my sidebar and include it in or at the bottom of any posts you link up. 4). Visit anyone else who links. Wishing you a happy week :)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare

[LINKY PARTY LOST IN MOVE FROM BLOGGER]

8 thoughts on “Wool on Sundays – 69 (What the frog!)

1. pennydog says:

It's been known for the post office staff to fold over my jiffy bag edge a tiny bit and then sellotape the heck out of them on my behalf to fit within small packets…

2. Benta AtSLIKstitches says:

Wasn't there a comedy sketch a hundred or so years ago where a package was just under weight but the post office only had halfpenny stamps and that took the weight into the next band? It would have been cheaper to courier it – I'm glad sense prevailed!!!!

3. summer says:

How annoying the new regulations with post these days! they measure every parcel and letter to the cm. WOW 50/60 pounds! great you got a suitable box to send it in, it's allot of messing about and time consuming. pretty crochet flower.

4. Soma Acharya says:

I am mailing a parcel out today, hopefully I won't have any problem. At least you found a suitable box at the post office. The flower looks so pretty! I like how my eyes are drawn to the center. I also can't wait to see what you do with this.

I have a very small yarn wip that I started, so I am linking up this week too. Three weeks in a row :)

-Soma

5. Kim says:

The very same thing happened to me this week at the post office. But….I threw up my arms in resignation and sent my parcel anyway. So, Australia isn't the only one with strange rules and regulations pertaining to all things postal! Admittedly it wasn't quite the exorbitant price of your parcel. Love your crochet doodling. I look forward to seeing where your imagination takes this pretty.

6. Sandra :) says:

I would have bet the farm that our Canada Post was the only postal system that was run by the Overlords of Sanity and Inanity – I feel your pain :D

How big is your flower (could it be called a Granny Flower?)? It's lovely with that 3D center :) I was gifted with some little crocheted flowers several years ago – I've been using them to embellish zipper bags :) Maybe yours would be pretty on a hat … or a tote? :)

I love to receive your comments and, where possible, I will respond by email and visit your blog. I will manually approve your first comment on this site to help avoid spammers :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s