The bad news is that my Friday Finish this week is only a lining :(
Who knew what a palava this pattern making would turn out to be. I started the week feeling confident that the Vintage Caravan Sewing Machine Cover pattern test and tute wouldn’t take too long. It’s a simple design and the original cover only took an afternoon after all. My son, who kindly drew it up from my sketches and dimensions, sent me a pdf which fitted everything onto A4 sheets and all seemed well, save for a few minor amendments. As I couldn’t edit the pdf, I printed on white labels and added details to the various sheets in the manner of an old fashioned paste up artist and that took a while longer than I would have anticipated but when I scanned them to my lap top it all looked quite professional. I decided to make the lining first because the remainder of the cover is essentially the same as the lining with embellishment so in many ways the lining is the pattern test but when I started cutting the lining fabric and writing up the tute things started not to add up. Eventually I realised the inch scale actually measured about 7/8 inch…I checked the original, unamended version and the scale on that is right so I can only assume that the scanner automatically scales to fit preset margins.
The good news is that, using the original pdf, I have finally made the lining and everything has fitted together perfectly so now I just need to find time to sew up the rest and send the amendments to my son to edit the pattern and, hopefully, everything will turn out ok…I think in future I’ll make hand drawn patterns of small items :)
I hope you’ve had a more productive week than I have!