I seem to have given up blogging of late and almost a month has gone by, during which time Spring has been springing.
But I’m glad to say I have completed my monthly goal of adding all the TAST stitches to date into my fanTASTichia picture.
Lots of these stitches are new to me and I plan to keep going with this, at least for the first twenty stitches or so although I still don’t know what it will end up looking like!
Apart from that, I have been knitting…
And, after much trial and error, I have unvented a new improved way to attach heads to cloth dolls and a hair technique to avoid the stumpy, thick plaits/braids that rag dolls tend to have. When I get time, I’ll put up a tute in case anyone wants to try it.
I have also been outside a lot, mainly bramble clearing and weeding, but I haven’t taken photos of that! I did manage to get some pictures of a pair of geese who visited us one morning though and some on a walk with Poppy..
My most exciting news is that we are on the verge of having ‘real’ internet. After literally years of being promised more than a very inconsistent -1mb (owing apparently to long copper lengths, which has made providing us with the infrastructure for a reliable service ‘uneconomical for the public purse’) we have a green cabinet installed along the road which, if what they say is true, will deliver fibre broadband. I can hardly imagine what it will like – not watching a spinning disk and waiting for things to time out and resetting the router…
If you are a mother in the UK, I wish you a Happy Mothers day! If not I wish you a happy day anyway :)
When the swallows came and I was banished away from my Makery into the garden to weed and weed and weed and suchlike, I became possessed of the idea that I should like to make a fabric book and, throughout those months of heatwave and gardening and painting, I preserved my sanity with pondering its pages and construction and even, on rare occasions, a little Summer stitching. The book includes a bit of everything, really. Some stitching, some vintage linens, some applique, some transfers, some cross stitch…Some, you may have seen before and some I’ve not shown.
I had it in mind that it would be nice to finish it by the time the swallows left on their long journey to Africa but during these past few weeks the skies have been filling each evening with clouds of these swift little birds darting and diving and swooping and, sometimes, alighting for a moment on the telephone wires.
And now they are gone leaving us earth-bound creatures with duller, emptier skies to prepare for Winter and brace ourselves against the growing dark and cold.
And reminding me that time for Summer stitching is quickly coming to an end and my book is still loose-leaf in the most literal sense. I would love to get this finished by the end of the month as May Day to Halloween seems, to me anyway, a good timescale for the making of a Summer Stitching book. But I’m not sure that is manageable. So, this month, my goal is to have the pages finished to a stage to be sewn into the cover, after which I think I will probably embellish a little more.